WHAT DOES THIS NOTICE COVER?
This Privacy Notice describes our policies on the collection, use and disclosure of the personal information that we gather in connection with your participation in CGF events and activities. Your information may be used in the manner described below by the Commonwealth Games Federation ("CGF", "we", "us", "our") and other named CGF affiliates.
For the purposes of data protection legislation we are the data controllers.
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
- We may collect the following personal information from you, your Commonwealth Games Association ("CGA") or from relevant organising committees for our events:
- information about you such as your name, any previous names, gender, date of birth, home address, birthplace and nationality, sport and discipline, your passport details, International Federation (IF) licence numbers, role or position, accreditation status, photograph, your CGA, and your business and/or personal email address and phone number;
- emergency contact details, marital status, information about family members (name, date of birth, gender, visa information and national personal ID number);
- your travel and accommodation details for CGF events;
- your clothing sizes for the provision of relevant uniforms and equipment;
- information concerning your conduct and, where permissible, about any actual or alleged violation of applicable rules of a CGF event or rules of the CGF, relevant International Federations, sporting bodies or national laws;
- information relating to your sporting performance, including results, records and photographic, film and other media content of events in which you are involved; and
- your height, weight, medical information, medical certificates and other documents relevant to your health including, where relevant, details of and evidence relating to your International Paralympic Committee (IPC)/IF classification.
HOW DO WE USE THIS INFORMATION, AND WHAT IS THE LEGAL BASIS FOR THIS USE?
Before a CGF event, we will process your information in our legitimate interests in order to facilitate and manage your participation in the event. We do this by:
- collating information about the number, sporting disciplines and location of athletes;
- collaborating with CGAs and International Federations to resolve any disputes relating to conduct and eligibility;
- collaborating with the relevant organising committee in the organisation of our event and the issuing of accreditation, visas, uniform and equipment;
During a CGF event, we may use your information in our legitimate interests to:
- manage and administer our event, including managing or collaborating with CGAs and International Federations on issues relating to eligibility, misconduct or breaches of our rules or the rules of your sport;
- monetise sporting events by giving broadcasters, sponsors and other companies access to footage and images;
- handle any questions or requests received from you, your CGA or others, and
- enforce our anti-doping rules and conduct relevant anti-doping testing and investigate any allegations of doping.
After a CGF event, we may use your information in our legitimate interests to:
- keep a database of results and records from CGF events.
- maintain a record of your involvement in previous CGF events, including details of any discussions or decisions made in relation to questions of eligibility, misconduct, breaches of our rules or the rules of your sport.
If you have consented to join our Alumni Network, we may use your contact details to send you information and updates about the Commonwealth Games and other CGF events and organisations in the Commonwealth Movement.
Additionally, where you have provided your consent or have made your sensitive data manifestly public, we may process your medical records in order to facilitate the management of your medical condition and administer issues relevant to your IPC/IF classification or other issues of eligibility.
At any point, we may also receive information from other sources, including but not limited to International Federations, your or other CGAs and spectators. We may process and share this data where necessary to facilitate our disciplinary or arbitral investigations or tribunals, or those of International Federations.
WHO WILL WE SHARE THIS DATA WITH?
We may share your personal information with your CGA to facilitate your attendance at one of our events in case of issues regarding accreditation, conduct or eligibility to participate in a CGF event.
We share information with the organising committees of CGF events regarding the management of our event and for other processing necessary before and during an event, as described above.
We may give selected broadcasters, sponsors, charity partners, CGAs, organisations in the Commonwealth Movement and media organisers access to images and footage of the CGF event. These images and footage may include your personal information.
If you consent to participate in our charity projects, we may share some of your personal information, such as your contact details, with our charity partners. We may also share your information with other members of the Commonwealth Movement and CGF affiliates, such as the Commonwealth Sports Foundation and the CGF Partnerships, to facilitate our Alumni Network and to provide you with relevant information and updates.
We will share your personal information with government authorities and other third parties when compelled to do so by government and law enforcement authorities or as otherwise required or permitted by law, including but not limited to in response to court orders. We cooperate with law enforcement inquiries and other third parties to enforce laws, intellectual property rights, anti-doping rules and relevant third party rights.
We may share your information with third party service providers, who will process it on our behalf. Such third parties include, but are not limited to IT service providers and data storage providers.
HOW LONG WILL WE HOLD YOUR DATA?
We will keep your information only for as long as is necessary to the purpose for which we process it. Laws may require the CGF to hold certain information for specific periods. In other cases, we may also retain data for an appropriate period after any relationship with you ends to protect ourselves from legal claims, or to administer our business.
We may keep information relating to sporting results and records as part of a publicly accessible database of historic Commonwealth Games and other CGF event records indefinitely, in order to maintain a record of the sport.
WILL YOU SEND MY DATA OVERSEAS?
We may need to transfer your data overseas, and outside of the EEA, where this is necessary to facilitate a CGF event being held outside the EEA or to liaise with an appropriate CGA or International Federation. We may also transfer information to service providers that host or otherwise process data outside of the EEA. Where information is transferred outside the EEA, and where this is to an organising committee, stakeholder or vendor in a country that is not subject to an adequacy decision by the EU Commission, data is adequately protected by EU Commission approved standard contractual clauses, an appropriate Privacy Shield certification or a vendor's Processor Binding Corporate Rules. A copy of the relevant mechanism can be provided for your review on request, using the contact details provided below.
WHAT RIGHTS DO YOU HAVE IN RELATION TO YOUR PERSONAL DATA?
You may be entitled to ask us:
- for a copy of your personal information;
- to correct or erase your personal information;
- to restrict or stop the processing personal information;
- to transfer some of this information to other organisations; and
- where we have asked for your consent to process your data, to withdraw this consent.
These rights may be limited in some situations – for example, where we can demonstrate that we have a legal requirement to process your data. In some instances, this may mean that we are able to retain data even if you withdraw your consent.
Where we require personal data to comply with legal or contractual obligations, then provision of such data is mandatory: if such data is not provided, then we will not be able to meet obligations placed on us or manage your involvement in a CGF event. In all other cases, provision of requested personal data is optional.
We hope that we can satisfy queries you may have about the way we process your data. If you have any concerns about how we process your data, you can contact our data protection officer at email@example.com. You are also entitled to complain directly to the relevant supervisory authority, the Information Commissioner’s Office.
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights you can contact us at the email addresses above, or you may also contact us at:
Commonwealth Games Federation
55-58 Pall Mall